Sunday, March 1, 2009

Visit with an American Hero

Today my friends Mary, Beth, and I got in the car and drove to Walter Reed Army Hospital in DC. We made the trip to see a soldier from our area who lost his leg in Iraq. About a year ago I met a special man by the name of Joe Finch, retired from the Army, he is now working as a civilian with the Army and volunteers a lot of his time with the wounded soldiers. He dropped me an e-mail about a month ago telling me about Bobby Andrzejczak, a 22 year old wounded soldier from Cape may NJ. When I first met Joe I was Mrs. New Jersey so he thought it would be special if I could gather some of my pageant friends to pay Bobby a visit. Of course when I mentioned it to my friends they were as excited as I was to pay a visit to this American Hero. We brought him some gifts, Philly Soft Pretzels, Tastycake, magazines and Phillies/Eagles autographed items. One of the things Bobby lost during the blast was his wallet so Mary had a wallet to give Bobby that had a lot of sentimental value attached, and we all chipped in to fill it with some money that he lost that day. What a great afternoon i spent with Bobby, Joe, and my friends. We are planning our next outing with Bobby, probably a trip to see the Philadelphia Phillies, Bobby has not been to Citizens Bank Park yet.